I accessed AccessScience and seached for Australopithecine, learning how to create an account and bookmark articles and pictures. Then I went to Proquest and set up an RSS feed and email alert on egyptology. It was interesting to check back daily and see just how many alerts were sent to me. I did begin to feel rather bogged down by the flood of information I had to plough through. But if I was doing research on a particular subject I can see it would be a wonderful resource.
This was a very useful exercise in order to be able to show readers how to use the full range of facilities we have in our eresources. I expect very few people use them to their full potential and I would suspect a lot of people are completely oblivious to the real possibilities that lie within these sites. This Module really reminded me of the Current Awareness Service we used to provide when I worked at medical libraries. Back in those days we literally photocopied the contents pages of new journals as they arrived at the library and sent them to the doctors and researchers who had signed up to receive current info on that particular journal. It was basically a hard copy version of RSS feeds. This new technology must have revolutionised current awareness services.
No comments:
Post a Comment