Monday, July 26, 2010

Specialist Search Engines

Blinkx was a revelation to me, I hadn't come across this before and I really like the way it lists all the news channels, you can limit your search to specific news channels that you like or alternatively see the UK/US/Australian take on certain issues. If you were looking for a specific news item that you knew was aired on say ITN then it would be much easier to find it using blinkx I feel rather than ploughing through all the hits you'd get on You Tube. They would probably both have the same clips but perhaps I would go to blinkx in future if I had missed a news item rather than wading through some of the utter junk you get on You Tube. I do enjoy You Tube for music videos but sometimes despair at some of the home movies people post on it, the desperation of doing absolutely anything just for that 30 seconds of fame is very sad.

I searched the Google Book Search for Tutankhamun, to find information on the new DNA tests carried out on mummies to determine their relation to him. So I searched for Tutankhamun, DNA and family tree. The magazine search on Google Book Search was interesting, it was remarkably easy to get distracted from the task at hand reading through them all! However if I knew there was a particular Time article perhaps there would be easier ways to go straight to Time. I do like that you can sort the magazine articles by date. If a customer knew there was an article and couldn't remember the magazine it was in it may be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment